In 1954, Schaumburg formed elementary District 54 and joined Palatine Township High School District 211. After 1954, enrollments mushroomed at all levels. A second addition was approved for Palatine High School and a second site of 40 acres was purchased at Quentin Road and Illinois Avenue.
The second school opened in 1961, and was named "William Fremd High School." Mr. Fremd had been a member
of the high school Board of Education for over 30 years and had served on school boards in the area for a consecutive period of more than 45 years. From 1961 to 1964, the district was organized as a 2-2 system with juniors and seniors at Palatine and freshmen and sophomores at Fremd. This system was phased out when James B. Conant High School, the district's third school and the first located in Schaumburg Township, opened as a three-year school and Fremd High School converted to a three-year program.
In 1967, an administration center was built on Roselle Road near Algonquin Road. It houses all district staff, Board of Education meeting room, and a storage area for school supplies. The center was named to honor Gerald A. McElroy who served District 211 for 38 years as a teacher, coach, principal, and Superintendent.
go to history, page 3